Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 8:57 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are several possible methods of doing that, but I think the best
> one is just to leave the SQL-callable C functions in fuzzystrmatch and
> move only the underlying code that supports into core.

For some reason I thought that that was what Michael was proposing - a
more comprehensive move of code into core than the structuring that I
proposed. I actually thought about a Levenshtein distance operator at
one point months ago, before I entirely gave up on that. The
MAX_LEVENSHTEIN_STRLEN limitation made me think that the Levenshtein
distance functions are not suitable for core as is (although that
doesn't matter for my purposes, since all I need is something that
accommodates NAMEDATALEN sized strings). MAX_LEVENSHTEIN_STRLEN is a
considerable limitation for an in-core feature. I didn't get around to
forming an opinion on how and if that should be fixed.

--
Peter Geoghegan