Re: jsonb concatenate operator's semantics seem questionable

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: jsonb concatenate operator's semantics seem questionable
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 5:46 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 17, 2015, at 8:38 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
>> The current behavior does not seem acceptable for the concatenate
>> operator ("operator || jsonb").
>
> I don't agree.  It seems pretty clear to me after reading the new posts that the behavior is not an oversight, and
that'senough for me to say that we should leave this alone.

I've said what I wanted to say. As long as the community is
comfortable with the reality that this concatenate operator really
isn't useful for assignment within UPDATEs for most jsonb users, then
I can leave it at that. I think that this concatenate operator may
have been informally promoted as the thing that made it possible to do
jsonb UPDATEs in a declarative fashion, but as things stand that
really isn't true.

If nothing changes, let's not make the mistake of going on to
*formally* promote this concatenate operator as offering the ability
to do jsonb UPDATEs in a declarative fashion, because that would be
quite misleading.

--
Peter Geoghegan

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: jsonb concatenate operator's semantics seem questionable
От: Haribabu Kommi
Сообщение: Re: Parallel Seq Scan