Re: Collations and Replication; Next Steps

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Collations and Replication; Next Steps
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 6:51 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
> The same it works with libxml, openssl, libreadline and all the other
> libraries you can build with.

I like the comparison with libxml. If we were to adopt ICU, it would
be as a core component that makes collation versioning work, that in
practice all packages use. It wouldn't actually be mandatory, but
almost universally available in practice.

I really think that long term, relying on the OS collations is not a
good plan. It's a big contributing factor to our reticence on the
question of when two different systems should be considered compatible
for the purposes of physical replication. Not that I'm volunteering to
work on it!
--
Peter Geoghegan

Сообщение: Re: Anonymous code block with parameters
Сообщение: Re: Anonymous code block with parameters