Re: Thinking about EXPLAIN ALTER TABLE

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: Thinking about EXPLAIN ALTER TABLE
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 at 12:27, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> An event trigger with a table_rewrite event, allows you to scan a whole script for objectionable activity on a test
serverbefore you put it into production.

> Perhaps we just need a few extra events.

That's not a bad idea at all. Offhand the missing events that come to mind are:

1. Validation passes
1. Table Rebuild pass
1. Index builds
1. Locks that block DDL (currently that's AccessExclusiveLock and
ShareRowExclusiveLock)

I see this as complementary to EXPLAIN ALTER TABLE rather than
replacing it. EXPLAIN would help the developer understand what their
commands were doing and why during development and the event triggers
would serve largely as safety backstop in staging and production to
ensure nothing slips through.

--
greg

От: Alexander Korotkov
Сообщение: Re: Connections hang indefinitely while taking a gin index's LWLockbuffer_content lock
От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: Add timeline to partial WAL segments