Re: [RFC] overflow checks optimized away

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: [RFC] overflow checks optimized away
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 2:52 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
Any news on this item from 2013, worked on again 2014?

Sorry, I didn't look at it since. At the time I was using Xi Wang's software to find the overflow checks that need to be redone. He published a paper on it and it's actually pretty impressive. It constructs a constraint problem and then throws a kSAT solver at it to find out if there's any code that a compiler could optimize away regardless of whether any existant compiler is actually capable of detecting the case and optimizing it away. https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/papers/stack:sosp13.pdf

Xi Wang actually went on to pursue the same issues in the Linux kernel, Clang, and elsewhere:

http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/cfe-commits/Week-of-Mon-20130617/082221.html

I'm up for trying again but it's a long slong to replace all the overflow checks and the patch will be big....

--
greg