Re: BUG #13895: Hot Standby locked replaying auto vacuum against pg_catalog.pg_statistics

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: BUG #13895: Hot Standby locked replaying auto vacuum against pg_catalog.pg_statistics
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
We saw this at Heroku a few times, one of which was posted here iirc.

I think the problem isn't that the truncate takes a long time. It's that it
deadlocks against the same tuple cleanups, possibly on the same table. It
was always the statistics table there too.

Recovery holding locks makes sense, and recovery pausing to avoid cleaning
tuples that are still needed is fine, buy the two cab deadlock against each
other. We could represent tuple cleanup with a lock when we need to block
which would at least let the deadlock detector notice but I'm not sure what
it should do since it can't kill recovery...

You can mitigate the problem by raising the vacuum cleanup age or using
feedback.

--
Greg