Re: pg_get_viewdefs() indentation considered harmful

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: pg_get_viewdefs() indentation considered harmful
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 8:49 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 6:54 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> writes:
>>> We're finding it more and more common for people to define partitioned
>>> table views with hundreds or thousands of union branches.
>>
>> Really?  Given how poorly the system performs with that many inheritance
>> children, I've got a hard time believing either that this is common or
>> that ruleutils is your worst problem with it.
>
> Doesn't make it a bad idea to fix it.  You may need hundreds or
> thousands of union branches for this to totally break the world, but
> you only need about five for it to be annoying.

Indeed even aside from the performance questions, once you're indented
5-10 times the indention stops being useful at all. The query would
probably be even more readable if we just made indentation modulo 40
so once you get too far indented it "wraps around" which is not unlike
how humans actually indent things in this case.

--
greg