Re: snapshot too old issues, first around wraparound and then more.

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: snapshot too old issues, first around wraparound and then more.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 at 23:49, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 12:00:57PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I agree that's a great use-case.  I don't like this implementation though.
> > I think if you want to set things up like that, you should draw a line
> > between the tables it's okay for the long transaction to touch and those
> > it isn't, and then any access to the latter should predictably draw an
> > error.

> I agree that would be a useful capability, but it solves a different problem.

Yeah, I think this discussion veered off into how to improve vacuum
snapshot tracking. That's an worthwhile endeavour but it doesn't
really address the use case this patch was there to target.

Fundamentally there's no way in SQL for users to give this information
to Postgres. There's nothing in SQL or our API that lets a client
inform Postgres what tables a session is going to access within a
transaction in the future.

What this alternative would look like would be a command that a client
would have to issue at the start of every transaction listing every
table that transaction will be allowed to touch. Any attempt to read
from any other table during the transaction would then get an error.

That sounds like it would be neat but it wouldn't work great with the
general approach in Postgres of having internal functions accessing
relations on demand (think of catalog tables, toast tables, and
pg_proc functions).

The "snapshot too old" approach is much more in line with Postgres's
general approach of giving users a general purpose platform and then
dealing gracefully with the consequences.

--
greg