Re: proposal: new polymorphic types - commontype and commontypearray

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: proposal: new polymorphic types - commontype and commontypearray
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
The proposals I see above are "commontype", "supertype", "anycommontype", and various abbreviations of those. I would humbly add "compatibletype".

Fwiw I kind of like commontype.

Alternately an argument could be made that length and typing convenience isn't really a factor here since database users never have to type these types. The only place they get written is when defining polymorphic functions which is a pretty uncommon operation.

In which case a very explicit "anycompatibletype" may be better.

On Tue., Mar. 5, 2019, 12:38 p.m. Pavel Stehule, <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

út 5. 3. 2019 v 15:35 odesílatel Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> napsal:
David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> writes:
> This thread has been very quiet for a month.  I agree with Andres [1]
> that we should push this to PG13.

I think the main thing it's blocked on is disagreement on what the
type name should be, which is kind of a silly thing to get blocked on,
but nonetheless it's important ...

I sent some others possible names, but probably this mail was forgotten

What about "ctype" like shortcut for common type? carraytype, cnonarraytype?

Regards

Pavel