Re: [HACKERS] Checksums by default?

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Checksums by default?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 26 January 2017 at 01:58, Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> I don't know how comparable it is to our checksum technology, but
> MySQL seems to have some kind of checksums on table data, and you can
> find public emails, blogs etc lamenting corrupted databases by
> searching Google for the string "InnoDB: uncompressed page, stored
> checksum in field1" (that's the start of a longer error message that
> includes actual and expected checksums).

I'm not sure what exactly that teaches us however. I see these were
often associated with software bugs (Apparently MySQL long assumed
that a checksum of 0 never happened for example).

In every non software case I stumbled across seemed to be following a
power failure. Apparently MySQL uses a "doublewrite buffer" to protect
against torn pages but when I search for that I get tons of people
inquiring how to turn it off... So even without software bugs in the
checksum code I don't know that the frequency of the error necessarily
teaches us anything about the frequency of hardware corruption either.

And more to the point it seems what people are asking for in all those
lamentations is how they can convince MySQL to continue and ignore the
corruption. A typical response was "We slightly modified innochecksum
and added option -f that means if the checksum of a page is wrong,
rewrite it in the InnoDB page header." Which begs the question...

--
greg