Re: Add A Glossary

От Roger Harkavy
Тема Re: Add A Glossary
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Alvaro, I know that you are joking, but I want to impress on everyone: please don't feel like anyone here is breaking anything when it comes to modifying the content and structure of this glossary.

I do have technical writing experience, but everyone else here is a subject matter expert when it comes to the world of databases and how this one in particular functions.

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 1:51 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 2020-Mar-20, Corey Huinker wrote:

> > Jürgen mentioned off-list that the man page doesn't build. I was going to
> > look into that, but if anyone has more familiarity with that, I'm listening.

> Looking at this some more, I'm not sure anything needs to be done for man
> pages.

Yeah, I don't think he was saying that we needed to do anything to
produce a glossary man page; rather that the "make man" command failed.
I tried it here, and indeed it failed.  But on further investigation,
after a "make maintainer-clean" it no longer failed.  I'm not sure what
to make of it, but it seems that this patch needn't concern itself with
that.

I gave a read through the first few actual definitions.  It's a much
slower work than I thought!  Attached you'll find the first few edits
that I propose.

Looking at the definition of "Aggregate" it seemed weird to have it
stand as a verb infinitive.  I looked up other glossaries, found this
one
https://www.gartner.com/en/information-technology/glossary?glossaryletter=T
and realized that when they do verbs, they put the present participle
(-ing) form.  So I changed it to "Aggregating", and split out the
"Aggregate function" into its own term.

In Atomic, there seemed to be excessive use of <glossterm> in the
definitions.  Style guides seem to suggest to do that only the first
time you use a term in a definition.  I removed some markup.

I'm not sure about some terms such as "analytic" and "backend server".
I put them in XML comments for now.

The other changes should be self-explanatory.

It's hard to review work from a professional tech writer.  I'm under the
constant impression that I'm ruining somebody's perfect end product,
making a fool of myself.

--
Álvaro Herrera                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/