Re: Using the indexing and sampling APIs to realize progressive features

От Vijaykumar Jain
Тема Re: Using the indexing and sampling APIs to realize progressive features
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Thu, Feb 3, 2022, 8:55 PM <hohenstein@cs.uni-kl.de> wrote:

Hi,

I have some questions regarding the indexing and sampling API.

My aim is to implement a variant of progressive indexing as seen in this paper (link). To summarize,

I want to implement a variant of online aggregation, where an aggregate query (Like Sum, Average, etc.) is answered in real time, where the result becomes more and more accurate as Tuples are consumed.

I thought that I could maybe use a custom sampling routine to consume table samples until I have seen the whole table with no duplicate tuples.

I am not sure if I understand correctly, but if this is referring to faceted search, then then the below may be of some help.

Performance may vary, but it would help you get an idea of the implementation.
And you also have rollups and cubes, but they get slow over large tables and require more resources to speed up.

If this is not what you wanted, feel free to ignore.