[HACKERS] GSoC 2017: weekly progress reports (week 5) and Proposal forpredicate locking in gin index

От Shubham Barai
Тема [HACKERS] GSoC 2017: weekly progress reports (week 5) and Proposal forpredicate locking in gin index
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Project: Explicitly support predicate locks in index AMs besides b-tree

Hi,

During this week, I read documentation and source code of gin index to find appropriate places to insert calls to existing functions.

Proposal

Gin index consists of a Btree index over key values, where each key is an element of some indexed items and each tuple in a leaf page contains either a posting list if the list is small enough or a pointer to posting tree.
As gin searches have to go all the way to leaf pages to determine whether there is a match or not, we just need a predicate lock on leaf pages.

Also, gin index has a feature called fast update which postpones the insertion of tuples by temporarily storing them into pending list. The pending list is eventually flushed during vacuum. So this creates a problem because even if a scan acquires a page level predicate lock on the pending list, we will not be able to detect r-w conflict because a new insert will just append tuples on the pending list. So, I think if a fast update is enabled, we need a predicate lock on the entire relation.

The possible places where we need to insert calls to existing
functions are as follows

1. PredicateLockPage()

-> entryLoadMoreItems()

->startscanentry()
before calling collectMatchBitmap()

>scanPostingTree()
after acquiring a shared lock on a leaf page

2. CheckForSerializableConflictIn()

->ginentryinsert()

->gininsertitempointers()
in case of insertion in a posting tree

3. PredicateLockPageSplit()

->dataBeginPlacetoPageLeaf()
after calling dataPlacetoPageLeafSplit()

Sent with Mailtrack

От: Kuntal Ghosh
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] WIP patch: distinguish selectivity of < from <= and >from >=
От: Amit Langote
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Add support for tuple routing to foreign partitions