Re: block-level incremental backup

От Ibrar Ahmed
Тема Re: block-level incremental backup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 3:24 PM Jeevan Chalke <jeevan.chalke@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 6:43 PM vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> wrote:
Some comments:
1) There will be some link files created for tablespace, we might
require some special handling for it

Yep. I have that in my ToDo.
Will start working on that soon.

2)
Retry functionality is hanlded only for copying of full files, should
we handle retry for copying of partial files
3)
we can have some range for maxretries similar to sleeptime

I took help from pg_standby code related to maxentries and sleeptime.

However, as we don't want to use system() call now, I have
removed all this kludge and just used fread/fwrite as discussed.

4)
Should we check for malloc failure

Used pg_malloc() instead. Same is also suggested by Ibrar.

5) Should we add display of progress as backup may take some time,
this can be added as enhancement. We can get other's opinion on this.

Can be done afterward once we have the functionality in place.

6)
If the backup count increases providing the input may be difficult,
Shall user provide all the incremental backups from a parent folder
and can we handle the ordering of incremental backup internally

I am not sure of this yet. We need to provide the tablespace mapping too.
But thanks for putting a point here. Will keep that in mind when I revisit this.

7)
Add verbose for copying whole file
Done

8) We can also check if approximate space is available in disk before
starting combine backup, this can be added as enhancement. We can get
other's opinion on this.

Hmm... will leave it for now. User will get an error anyway.

9)
Combine backup into directory can be combine backup directory
Done

10)
MAX_INCR_BK_COUNT can be increased little, some applications use 1
full backup at the beginning of the month and use 30 incremental
backups rest of the days in the month

Yeah, agree. But using any number here is debatable.
Let's see others opinion too.
Why not use a list?

Regards,
Vignesh

Attached new sets of patches with refactoring done separately.
Incremental backup patch became small now and hopefully more
readable than the first version.

--
Jeevan Chalke
Technical Architect, Product Development

+       buf = (char *) malloc(statbuf->st_size);

+       if (buf == NULL)

+               ereport(ERROR,

+                               (errcode(ERRCODE_OUT_OF_MEMORY),

+                                errmsg("out of memory")));

Why are you using malloc, you can use palloc here.

--
Ibrar Ahmed