Re: Column Redaction

От Ibrar Ahmed
Тема Re: Column Redaction
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 11:53 PM Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Postgres currently supports column level SELECT privileges.

1. If we want to confirm a credit card number, we can issue SELECT 1
FROM customer WHERE stored_card_number = '1234 5678 5344 7733'

2. If we want to look for card fraud, we need to be able to use the
full card number to join to transaction data and look up blocked card
lists etc..

3. We want to block the direct retrieval of card numbers for
additional security.
In some cases, we might want to return an answer like '**** ***** **** 7733'

We can't do all of the above with current facilities inside the database.

The ability to mask output for data in certain cases, for the purpose
of security, is known lately as data redaction, or column-level data
redaction.

The best way to support this requirement would be to allow columns to
have an additional "output formatting function". This would be
executed only when data is about to be returned by a query. All other
uses of that would not restrict the data.

This would have other uses as well, such as default report formats, so
we can store financial amounts as NUMERIC, but format them on
retrieval as $12,345.78 etc..

Suggested user interface would be...
   FORMAT functionname(parameters, if any)

e.g.
CREATE TABLE customer
( id ...
, stored_card_number  NUMERIC FORMAT pci_card_number_redaction()
);

We'd need to implement something to allow pg_dump to ignore format
functions. I suggest the best way to do that is by providing a BACKUP
role that can be delegated to other users. We would then allow a
parameter for SET output_formatting = on | off, which can only be set
by superuser and BACKUP role, then have pg_dump issue SET
output_formatting = off explicitly when it runs.

Do we want redaction in PostgreSQL?
Do we want it generalised into output format functions?

--
 Simon Riggs                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Hi,
Do we still have some interest in this? People generally like that
the idea, if yes I am happy to work on that and can send the complete
design first.

--
Ibrar Ahmed