Re: Add WAL recovery messages with log_wal_traffic GUC (was: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display)

От Bharath Rupireddy
Тема Re: Add WAL recovery messages with log_wal_traffic GUC (was: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display)
Дата
Ответ на Re: Add WAL recovery messages with log_wal_traffic GUC (was: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display)  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>)
Ответы Re: Add WAL recovery messages with log_wal_traffic GUC (was: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display)  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 29, 2022 at 4:11 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> Did we ever consider the idea of using a new pg_stat_wal_activity_progress
> view or something like that, using the backend_progress.c functionality?
> I don't see it mentioned in the thread.

IMO, progress reporting works well on a running server and at the
moment. The WAL recovery/replay can happen even before the server
opens up for connections and the progress report view can't be used
for later analysis like how much time the restoring WAL files from
archive location took and also the WAL file names can't be reported in
progress reporting mechanism (only integers columns, of course if
required we can add text columns to pg_stat_get_progress_info). Having
the recovery info in server logs might help.

> It's not an *exact* fit, since this is not about one "command" being
> executed by a "backend", but it seems a near enough fit, and it would
> unobtrusive enough that we don't need to worry about the progress-update
> rate or have a GUC to determine how frequently to update (with a gauge
> that's heavily workload-dependant and is likely to make little sense to
> some users -- consider differently-sized WAL segments, for one thing).

I think reporting a long-running file processing operation (removing
or syncing) within postgres is a generic problem (for snapshot,
mapping, temporary (pgsql_tmp), temp relation files, old WAL file
processing, WAL file processing during recovery etc.) and needs to be
solved in two ways: 1) logging progress into server logs (which helps
for analysis and report when the server isn't available for
connections, crash recovery), a generic GUC
log_file_processing_traffic = {none, medium, high} might help here
(also proposed in [1]) and 2) pg_stat_file_processing_progress
(extending progress reporting pg_stat_get_progress_info to have few
text columns for current file name and directory path).

Thoughts?

Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.