Re: add timing information to pg_upgrade

От Bharath Rupireddy
Тема Re: add timing information to pg_upgrade
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 2, 2023 at 12:45 PM Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:

> On 01.08.23 17:45, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> > The message is too long, so there's no space between it and the "ok"
> > message:
> >
> >       Checking for incompatible "aclitem" data type in user tablesok
> >
> > Instead of altering the messages, we could bump MESSAGE_WIDTH from 60 to
> > 62 or 64.  Do you prefer that approach?
>
> I think we should change the output format to be more like initdb, like
>
>      Doing something ... ok
>
> without horizontally aligning all the "ok"s.

While this looks simple, we might end up with a lot of diff and
changes after removing MESSAGE_WIDTH. There's a significant part of
pg_upgrade code that deals with MESSAGE_WIDTH. I don't think it's
worth the effort. Therefore, I'd prefer the simplest possible fix -
change the message to '"Checking for  \"aclitem\" data type in user
tables". It may be an overkill, but we can consider adding
Assert(sizeof(message) < MESSAGE_WIDTH) in progress report functions
to not encourage new messages to end up in the same formatting issue.

--
Bharath Rupireddy
PostgreSQL Contributors Team