Re: Improve WALRead() to suck data directly from WAL buffers when possible

От Bharath Rupireddy
Тема Re: Improve WALRead() to suck data directly from WAL buffers when possible
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 3:01 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> Looking at 0003, where an XXX comment is added about taking a spinlock
> to read LogwrtResult, I suspect the answer is probably not, because it
> is likely to slow down the other uses of LogwrtResult.

We avoided keeping LogwrtResult latest as the current callers for
WALReadFromBuffers() all determine the flush LSN using
GetFlushRecPtr(), see comment #4 from
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CALj2ACV%3DC1GZT9XQRm4iN1NV1T%3DhLA_hsGWNx2Y5-G%2BmSwdhNg%40mail.gmail.com.

> But I wonder if
> a better path forward would be to base further work on my older
> uncommitted patch to make LogwrtResult use atomics.  With that, you
> wouldn't have to block others in order to read the value.  I last posted
> that patch in [1] in case you're curious.
>
> [1] https://postgr.es/m/20220728065920.oleu2jzsatchakfj@alvherre.pgsql
>
> The reason I abandoned that patch is that the performance problem that I
> was fixing no longer existed -- it was fixed in a different way.

Nice. I'll respond in that thread.  FWIW, there's been a recent
attempt at turning unloggedLSN to 64-bit atomic -
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/46/4330/ and that might need
pg_atomic_monotonic_advance_u64. I guess we would have to bring your
patch and the unloggedLSN into a single thread to have a better
discussion.

--
Bharath Rupireddy
PostgreSQL Contributors Team