Re: Parallel Inserts in CREATE TABLE AS

От Bharath Rupireddy
Тема Re: Parallel Inserts in CREATE TABLE AS
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 11:33 AM Luc Vlaming <luc@swarm64.com> wrote:

> Really looking forward to this ending up in postgres as I think it's a
> very nice improvement.
>
> Whilst reviewing your patch I was wondering: is there a reason you did
> not introduce a batch insert in the destreceiver for the CTAS? For me
> this makes a huge difference in ingest speed as otherwise the inserts do
> not really scale so well as lock contention start to be a big problem.
> If you like I can make a patch to introduce this on top?

Thanks for your interest. You are right, we can get maximum
improvement if we have multi inserts in destreceiver for the CTAS on
the similar lines to COPY FROM command. I specified this point in my
first mail [1]. You may want to take a look at an already existing
patch [2] for multi inserts, I think there are some review comments to
be addressed in that patch. I would love to see the multi insert patch
getting revived.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CALj2ACWFq6Z4_jd9RPByURB8-Y8wccQWzLf%2B0-Jg%2BKYT7ZO-Ug%40mail.gmail.com
[2] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAEET0ZG31mD5SWjTYsAt0JTLReOejPvusJorZ3kGZ1%3DN1AC-Fw%40mail.gmail.com

With Regards,