Re: Allow logical replication to copy tables in binary format

От Bharath Rupireddy
Тема Re: Allow logical replication to copy tables in binary format
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 24, 2023 at 8:32 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is my summary of this thread so far, plus some other thoughts.

Thanks.

> 1. Initial Goal
> data replication in binary mode, but tablesync COPY phase is still
> only in text mode. IIUC Melih just wanted to unify those phases so
> binary=true would mean also do the COPY phase in binary [1].
>
> Actually, this was my very first expectation too.
>
> 2. Objections to unification
> refers to this new option as copy_format=binary.

Looking closely at the existing binary=true option and COPY's binary
protocol, essentially they depend on the data type's binary send and
receive functions.

> 3. A problem: binary replication is not always binary!
>
> Shi-san reported [3] that under special circumstances (e.g. if the
> datatype has no binary output function) the current HEAD binary=true
> mode for replication has the ability to fall back to text replication.
> Since the binary COPY doesn't do this, it means binary COPY could fail
> in some cases where the binary=true replication will be OK.

Right. Apply workers can fallback to text mode transparently, whereas
with binary COPY it's a bit difficult to do so.

> AFAIK, this means that even if we *wanted* to unify everything with
> just 'binary=true' it can't be done like that.

Hm, it looks like that.

> 4. New option is needed
> ---------------------------------
>
> OK, so let's assume these options must be separated (because of the
> problem of #3).
>
> ~
>
> 4a. New string option called copy_format?
>
> Currently, the patch/thread describes a new 'copy_format' string
> option with values 'text' (default) and 'binary'.
>
> Why? If there are only 2 values then IMO it would be better to have a
> *boolean* option called something like binary_copy=true/false.
>
> ~
>
> 4b. Or, we could extend copy_data
>
> Jelte suggested [4] we could extend copy_data = 'text' (aka on/true)
> OR 'binary' OR 'none' (aka off/false).

How about copy_binary = {true/false}? So, the options for the user are:

copy_binary - defaults to false and when true, the subscriber requests
publisher to send pre-existing table's data in binary format (as
opposed to text) during data synchronization/table copy phase. It is
recommended to enable this option only when 1) the column data types
have appropriate binary send/receive functions, 2) not replicating
between different major versions or different platforms, 3) both
publisher and subscriber tables have the exact same column types (not
when replicating from smallint to int or numeric to int8 and so on), 4)
both publisher and subscriber supports COPY with binary option,
otherwise the table copy can fail.

binary - defaults to false and when true, the subscriber requests
publisher to send table's data in binary format (as opposed to text)
during normal replication phase. <<existing description from the docs
continues>>

Note that with this we made users responsible to choose copy_binary
rather than we being smart.

> AFAIK currently the patch disallows some combinations:
>
> + ereport(ERROR,
> + (errcode(ERRCODE_SYNTAX_ERROR),
> + errmsg("%s and %s are mutually exclusive options",
> + "binary = false", "copy_format = binary")));
>
> 6. pub/sub version checking
> ----------------------------
>
> There were some discussions about doing some server checking to reject
> some PG combinations from being allowed to use the copy_format=binary.

IMHO, these restrictions make the feature more complicated to use and
be removed and the options be made simple to use (usability and
simplicity clearly wins the race). If there's any kind of feedback
from the users/developers, we can always come back and improve.

> But if the publication was defined as FOR ALL TABLES, or as ALL TABLES
> IN SCHEMA, then I think the tablesync can still crash if a user
> creates a new table that suffers the same COPY binary trouble Shi-san
> described earlier [3].
>
> What is the user supposed to do when that tablesync fails?
>
> They had no way to predict it could happen, And it will be too painful
> to have to DROP and re-create the entire SUBSCRIPTION again now that
> it has happened.

Can't ALTER SUBSCRIPTION .... SET copy_format = 'text'; and ALTER
SUBSCRIPTION ... REFRESH PUBLICATION WITH (copy_data = true); work
here instead of drop and recreate subscription?

> 7a. A thought bubble
>
> I wondered (perhaps this is naive) would it be it possible to enhance
> the COPY command to enhance the "binary" mode so it can be made to
> fall back to text mode if it needs to in the same way that binary
> replication does.
>
> If such an enhanced COPY format mode worked, then most of the patch is redundant
> - there is no need for any new option
> - tablesync COPY could then *always* use this "binary-with-falback" mode

I don't think that's a great idea. COPY is a user-facing SQL command
and any errors (because of data type not having binary send/receive
functions) better be reported to the users. Again, such an option
might complicate both COPY code and usability.

--
Bharath Rupireddy
PostgreSQL Contributors Team