Re: RFC: Logging plan of the running query

От Bharath Rupireddy
Тема Re: RFC: Logging plan of the running query
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 1:14 PM torikoshia <torikoshia@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
> Updated the patch.

Thanks for the patch. Here are some comments on v3 patch:

1) We could just say "Requests to log query plan of the presently
running query of a given backend along with an untruncated query
string in the server logs."
Instead of
+        They will be logged at <literal>LOG</literal> message level and
+        will appear in the server log based on the log
+        configuration set (See <xref linkend="runtime-config-logging"/>

2) It's better to do below, for reference see how pg_backend_pid,
pg_terminate_backend, pg_relpages and so on are used in the tests.
+SELECT pg_log_current_plan(pg_backend_pid());
rather than using the function in the FROM clause.
+SELECT * FROM pg_log_current_plan(pg_backend_pid());
If okay, also change it for pg_log_backend_memory_contexts.

3) Since most of the code looks same in pg_log_backend_memory_contexts
and pg_log_current_plan, I think we can have a common function
something like below:
bool
SendProcSignalForLogInfo(ProcSignalReason reason)
{
Assert(reason == PROCSIG_LOG_MEMORY_CONTEXT || reason ==
PROCSIG_LOG_CURRENT_PLAN);

if (!superuser())
{
if (reason == PROCSIG_LOG_MEMORY_CONTEXT)
errmsg("must be a superuser to log memory contexts")
else if (reason == PROCSIG_LOG_CURRENT_PLAN)
errmsg("must be a superuser to log plan of the running query")
}

if (SendProcSignal(pid, reason, proc->backendId) < 0)
{
}
}
Then we could just do:
Datum
pg_log_backend_memory_contexts(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
{
PG_RETURN_BOOL(SendProcSignalForLogInfo(PROCSIG_LOG_MEMORY_CONTEXT));
}
Datum
pg_log_current_plan(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
{
PG_RETURN_BOOL(SendProcSignalForLogInfo(PROCSIG_LOG_CURRENT_PLAN));
}
We can have SendProcSignalForLogInfo function defined in procsignal.c
and procsignal.h

4) I think we can have a sample function usage and how it returns true
value, how the plan looks for a simple query(select 1 or some other
simple/complex generic query or simply select
pg_log_current_plan(pg_backend_pid());) in the documentation, much
like pg_log_backend_memory_contexts.

5) Instead of just showing the true return value of the function
pg_log_current_plan in the sql test, which just shows that the signal
is sent, but it doesn't mean that the backend has processed that
signal and logged the plan. I think we can add the test using TAP
framework, one

6) Do we unnecessarily need to signal the processes such as autovacuum
launcher/workers, logical replication launcher/workers, wal senders,
wal receivers and so on. only to emit a "PID %d is not executing
queries now" message? Moreover, those processes will be waiting in
loops for timeouts to occur, then as soon as they wake up do they need
to process this extra uninformative signal?
We could choose to not signal those processes at all which might or
might not be possible.
Otherwise, we could just emit messages like "XXXX process cannot run a
query" in ProcessInterrupts.

7)Instead of
(errmsg("logging plan of the running query on PID %d\n%s",
how about below?
(errmsg("plan of the query running on backend with PID %d is:\n%s",

8) Instead of
errmsg("PID %d is not executing queries now")
how about below?
errmsg("Backend with PID %d is not running a query")

9) We could just do:
void
ProcessLogCurrentPlanInterrupt(void)
{
ExplainState *es;
LogCurrentPlanPending = false;
if (!ActivePortal || !ActivePortal->queryDesc)
errmsg("PID %d is not executing queries now");
es = NewExplainState();
ExplainQueryText();
ExplainPrintPlan();

10) How about renaming the function pg_log_current_plan to
pg_log_query_plan or pg_log_current_query_plan?

11) What happens if pg_log_current_plan is called for a parallel worker?

With Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.