Re: Plug-pull testing worked, diskchecker.pl failed

От Vick Khera
Тема Re: Plug-pull testing worked, diskchecker.pl failed
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there a comprehensive list of drives that have been tested on the
wiki somewhere?  Our current choices seem to be the Intel 3xx series
which STILL suffer from the "whoops I'm now an 8MB drive" bug and the
very expensive SLC 7xx series Intel drives, the Hitachi Ultrastar
SSD400M, and the OCZ Vertex 2 Pro.  Any particular recommendations
from those or other series from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

My most recent big box(es) are built using all Intel 3xx series drives. Like you said, the 7xx series was way too expensive.  The 5xx series looks totally right on paper, until you find out they don't have a durable cache.  That just doesn't make sense in any universe... but that's the way they are.

They seem to be doing really well so far.  I connected them to LSI RAID controllers, with the Fastpath option.  I think they are pretty speedy.

On my general purpose boxes, I now spec the 3xx drives for boot (software RAID) and use other drives such as Seagate Constellation for data with ZFS. Sometimes I think that the ZFS volumes are faster than the SSD RAID volumes, but it is not a fair comparison because the RAID systems are CentOS 6 and the ZFS systems are FreeBSD 9.