Re: [HACKERS] make async slave to wait for lsn to be replayed

От Pavel Borisov
Тема Re: [HACKERS] make async slave to wait for lsn to be replayed
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi, Alexander!

On Wed, 3 Apr 2024 at 22:18, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 3, 2024 at 7:55 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> On 2024-Apr-03, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
>
> > Regarding the shmem data structure for LSN waiters.  I didn't pick
> > LWLock or ConditionVariable, because I needed the ability to wake up
> > only those waiters whose LSN is already replayed.  In my experience
> > waking up a process is way slower than scanning a short flat array.
>
> I agree, but I think that's unrelated to what I was saying, which is
> just the patch I attach here.

Oh, sorry for the confusion.  I'd re-read your message.  Indeed you
meant this very clearly!

I'm good with the patch.  Attached revision contains a bit of a commit message.

> > However, I agree that when the number of waiters is very high and flat
> > array may become a problem.  It seems that the pairing heap is not
> > hard to use for shmem structures.  The only memory allocation call in
> > paritingheap.c is in pairingheap_allocate().  So, it's only needed to
> > be able to initialize the pairing heap in-place, and it will be fine
> > for shmem.
>
> Ok.
>
> With the code as it stands today, everything in WaitLSNState apart from
> the pairing heap is accessed without any locking.  I think this is at
> least partly OK because each backend only accesses its own entry; but it
> deserves a comment.  Or maybe something more, because WaitLSNSetLatches
> does modify the entry for other backends.  (Admittedly, this could only
> happens for backends that are already sleeping, and it only happens
> with the lock acquired, so it's probably okay.  But clearly it deserves
> a comment.)

Please, check 0002 patch attached.  I found it easier to move two
assignments we previously moved out of lock, into the lock; then claim
WaitLSNState.procInfos is also protected by WaitLSNLock.
Could you re-attach 0002. Seems it failed to attach to the previous message.

Regards,
Pavel