Re: errors on restoring postgresql binary dump to glusterfs

От Liang Ma
Тема Re: errors on restoring postgresql binary dump to glusterfs
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Magnus,

Thank you for answering my post.

Please see comments on your answer below.

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 3:58 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 8:34 PM, Liang Ma <ma.satops@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi There,
>>
>> While trying to restore a ~700GM binary dump by command
>>
>> pg_restore -d dbdata < sampledbdata-20120327.pgdump
>>
>> I encountered following errors repeatedly
>>
>> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error from TOC entry 2882463; 2613
>> 10267347 BLOB 10267347 sdmcleod
>> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR:
>> unexpected data beyond EOF in block 500 of relation base/16386/11743
>> HINT:  This has been seen to occur with buggy kernels; consider
>> updating your system.
>
> Note the message right here...
>
> There may be further indications in the server log about what's wrong.

The server's logs in message file were clean.

>> The server runs Ubuntu server 10.04 LTS with postgresql upgraded to
>> version 9.1.3-1~lucid. The postgresql data directory is located in a
>> glusterfs mounted directory to a replicated volume vol-2
>
> I assume you don't have more than one node actually *accessing* the
> data directory at the same time, right?

Yes, you are right. I just set up this glusterfs and postgresql server
with two nodes for testing purpose. There was no other gluster
filesystem access activity at the time I tried to restore the
postgresql dump. Do you know if postgresql recommends any other
cluster filesystem, or it may not like cluster filesystem at all?

> Even with that said, I haven't heard of anybody running PostgreSQL on
> glusterfs, and I'm not sure it fulfills the basic requirements that
> PostgreSQL has on a filesystem. In particular, the messages above
> about a buggy kernel certainly indicates that there is a problem with
> the filesystem.
>
>> I think this may have someting to do with glusterfs, because when I
>> restore the same dump to a same ubuntu 10.04 server with postgresql
>> upgraded to the same 9.1.3-1~lucid located in a local ext4 filesystem,
>> the pg_restore went well without a single error.
>
> Yes, it certainly sounds like that. You probably need to bring it up
> with the glusterfs folks...

I posted to glusterfs mailing list at the same time but haven't got
any feedback yet. I think it is more likely related to glusterfs, but
would like to know if any other postgresql users have similar
experience or ideas.

> --
>  Magnus Hagander
>  Me: http://www.hagander.net/