Re: Add SPLIT PARTITION/MERGE PARTITIONS commands

От Zhihong Yu
Тема Re: Add SPLIT PARTITION/MERGE PARTITIONS commands
Дата
Re: Add SPLIT PARTITION/MERGE PARTITIONS commands  (Dmitry Koval <d.koval@postgrespro.ru>)
Список pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 12:43 PM Dmitry Koval <d.koval@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
 >Just out of curiosity, why is SPLIT / MERGE support not included for
 >HASH partitions? Because sibling partitions can have a different
 >modulus, you should be able to e.g. split a partition with (modulus,
 >remainder) of (3, 1) into two partitions with (mod, rem) of (6, 1) and
 >(6, 4) respectively, with the reverse being true for merge operations,
 >right?

You are right, SPLIT/MERGE operations can be added for HASH-partitioning
in the future. But HASH-partitioning is rarer than RANGE- and
LIST-partitioning and I decided to skip it in the first step.
Maybe community will say that SPLIT/MERGE commands are not needed... (At
first step I would like to make sure that it is no true)

P.S. I attached patch with 1-line warning fix (for cfbot).
--
With best regards,
Dmitry Koval

Postgres Professional: http://postgrespro.com

Hi,
For attachPartTable, the parameter wqueue is missing from comment.
The parameters of CloneRowTriggersToPartition are called parent and partition. I think it is better to name the parameters to attachPartTable in a similar manner.

For struct SplitPartContext, SplitPartitionContext would be better name.

+       /* Store partition contect into list. */
contect -> context

Cheers