Re: Use extended statistics to estimate (Var op Var) clauses

От Zhihong Yu
Тема Re: Use extended statistics to estimate (Var op Var) clauses
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 1:29 PM Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Hi,

Here is a slightly updated version of the patch - rebased to current
master and fixing some minor issues to handle expressions (and not just
the Var nodes as before).

The changes needed to support (Expr op Expr) are mostly mechanical,
though I'm sure the code needs some cleanup. The main issue I ran into
is the special case clauselist_selectivity, which does

     if (list_length(clauses) == 1)
         return clause_selectivity_ext(...);

which applies to cases like "WHERE a < b" which can now be handled by
extended statistics, thanks to this patch. But clause_selectivity_ext
only used to call restriction_selectivity for these clauses, which does
not use extended statistics, of course.

I considered either getting rid of the special case, passing everything
through extended stats, including cases with a single clause. But that
ends up affecting e.g. OR clauses, so I tweaked clause_selectivity_ext a
bit, which seems like a better approach.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

-           for (i = 0; i < mcvlist->nitems; i++)
+           if (cst)    /* Expr op Const */

It seems the Const op Expr is also covered by this if branch. Hence the comment should include this case.

Cheers