Re: UPDATE many records

От Justin
Тема Re: UPDATE many records
Дата
Список pgsql-general
system monitor i like is glances,  have to have python installed to run,  it can run in command console or present a web interface.  its a very nice to  get a quick detail few what is going on

just monitoring the system CPU utilization does not give enough information to state if the system is CPU bound or IO bound or network IO bound.

on simple selects assuming the data is in shared buffers its trivial event,  if the select has to go to disk to get the data then its not trivial especially if its a big table.  One thing that can happen is the update and the selects in the trigger are pushing data in and out of shared memory causing the disk to thrash which explain does not report.

 Explain does not peer into function, triggers, etc   select myfunction(),  column list, from mytable.  or update mytable set column = myfunction() ,  it will not report what happened inside just the total time it took to run.
looking at the explain the Update only took 0.6 second while the trigger took 6.5
rotate_tilt_data: time=6560.401 calls=9299
I'm a little confused is this trigger function going to be around after this update?  If yes it should be worth looking into

If its a one time run or every 12 months who cares,  Start the update on friday night,  go in on Saturday to check it