Re: pg_stat_bgwriter.buffers_backend is pretty meaningless (and more?)

От vignesh C
Тема Re: pg_stat_bgwriter.buffers_backend is pretty meaningless (and more?)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 at 03:30, Melanie Plageman
<melanieplageman@gmail.com> wrote:

> v49 attached

> > > So, thinking about this I started noticing inconsistencies in other
> > > areas around this order:
> > > For example: ordering of objects mentioned in commit messages and comments,
> > > ordering of parameters (like in pgstat_count_io_op() [currently in
> > > reverse order]).
> > >
> > > I think we should make a final decision about this ordering and then
> > > make everywhere consistent (including ordering in the view).
> > >
> > > Currently the order is:
> > > BackendType
> > >   IOContext
> > >     IOObject
> > >       IOOp
> > >
> > > You are suggesting this order:
> > > BackendType
> > >   IOObject
> > >     IOContext
> > >       IOOp
> > >
> > > Could you explain what you find more natural about this ordering (as I
> > > find the other more natural)?
> >
> > The object we're performing IO on determines more things than the context. So
> > it just seems like the natural hierarchical fit. The context is a sub-category
> > of the object. Consider how it'll look like if we also have objects for 'wal',
> > 'temp files'. It'll make sense to group by just the object, but it won't make
> > sense to group by just the context.
> >
> > If it were trivial to do I'd use a different IOContext for each IOObject. But
> > it'd make it much harder. So there'll just be a bunch of values of IOContext
> > that'll only be used for one or a subset of the IOObjects.
> >

> > The reason to put BackendType at the top is pragmatic - one backend is of a
> > single type, but can do IO for all kinds of objects/contexts. So any other
> > hierarchy would make the locking etc much harder.
> >

> > > This is one possible natural sentence with these objects:
> > >
> > > During COPY, a client backend may read in data from a permanent
> > > relation.
> > > This order is:
> > > IOContext
> > >   BackendType
> > >     IOOp
> > >       IOObject
> > >
> > > I think English sentences are often structured subject, verb, object --
> > > but in our case, we have an extra thing that doesn't fit neatly
> > > (IOContext).
> >
> > "..., to avoid polluting the buffer cache it uses the bulk (read|write)
> > strategy".
> >

> > > Also, IOOp in a sentence would be in the middle (as the
> > > verb). I made it last because a) it feels like the smallest unit b) it
> > > would make the code a lot more annoying if it wasn't last.
> >
> > Yea, I think pragmatically that is the right choice.
>
> I have changed the order and updated all the places using
> PgStat_BktypeIO as well as in all locations in which it should be
> ordered for consistency (that I could find in the pass I did) -- e.g.
> the view definition, function signatures, comments, commit messages,
> etc.

> > > I see a checkpoint is requested when dropping the tablespace if not all
> [...]

The patch does not apply on top of HEAD as in [1], please post a rebased patch:
=== Applying patches on top of PostgreSQL commit ID
4f74f5641d53559ec44e74d5bf552e167fdd5d20 ===
=== applying patch
./v49-0003-Add-system-view-tracking-IO-ops-per-backend-type.patch
patching file src/test/regress/expected/rules.out
Hunk #1 FAILED at 1876.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file
src/test/regress/expected/rules.out.rej

[1] - http://cfbot.cputube.org/patch_41_3272.log

Regards,
Vignesh

Сообщение: Re: Adjust the description of OutputPluginCallbacks in pg-doc
Сообщение: Re: Adjust the description of OutputPluginCallbacks in pg-doc