Re: long-standing data loss bug in initial sync of logical replication

От vignesh C
Тема Re: long-standing data loss bug in initial sync of logical replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 27 Jun 2024 at 08:38, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2024 at 4:57 PM Tomas Vondra
> <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 6/25/24 07:04, Amit Kapila wrote:

> > > Okay, thanks for pointing to the CF entry. Would you like to take care
> > > of this? Are you seeing anything more than the simple fix to use SRE
> > > in OpenTableList()?
> > >

> > I did not find a simpler fix than adding the SRE, and I think pretty
> > much any other fix is guaranteed to be more complex. I don't remember
> > all the details without relearning all the details, but IIRC the main
> > challenge for me was to convince myself it's a sufficient and reliable
> > fix (and not working simply by chance).
> >
> > I won't have time to look into this anytime soon, so feel free to take
> > care of this and push the fix.
> >

> Okay, I'll take care of this.

This issue is present in all supported versions. I was able to
reproduce it using the steps recommended by Andres and Tomas's
scripts. I also conducted a small test through TAP tests to verify the
problem. Attached is the alternate_lock_HEAD.patch, which includes the
lock modification(Tomas's change) and the TAP test.
To reproduce the issue in the HEAD version, we cannot use the same
test as in the alternate_lock_HEAD patch because the behavior changes
slightly after the fix to wait for the lock until the open transaction
completes.  The attached issue_reproduce_testcase_head.patch can be
used to reproduce the issue through TAP test in HEAD.
The changes made in the HEAD version do not directly apply to older
branches. For PG14, PG13, and PG12 branches, you can use the
alternate_lock_PG14.patch.

Regards,
Vignesh

Вложения