Re: Add new for_each macros for iterating over a List that do not require ListCell pointer

От vignesh C
Тема Re: Add new for_each macros for iterating over a List that do not require ListCell pointer
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 19 Dec 2023 at 21:22, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 03:44:43PM +0100, Jelte Fennema-Nio wrote:
> > On Tue, 19 Dec 2023 at 11:59, vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I noticed that this change can be done in several other places too.
> >
> > My guess would be that ~90% of all existing foreach loops in the
> > codebase can be easily rewritten (and simplified) using these new
> > macros. So converting all of those would likely be quite a bit of
> > work. In patch 0003 I only converted a few of them to get some
> > coverage of the new macros and show how much simpler the usage of them
> > is.
>
> I'm not sure we should proceed with rewriting most/all eligible foreach
> loops.  I think it's fine to use the new macros in new code or to update
> existing loops in passing when changing nearby code, but rewriting
> everything likely just introduces back-patching pain in return for little
> discernible gain.

+1 for this. Let's just provide the for_each macros to be used for new code.
This means that the
0003-Use-new-foreach_xyz-macros-in-a-few-places.patch will not be
present in the final patch right?

Regards,
Vignesh