Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side

От vignesh C
Тема Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 11:14 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 9, 2021 at 6:16 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Sounds good. In the crash case, it should be fine since we will just
> > > commit an empty transaction. The same is true for the case where
> > > skip_xid has been changed after skipping and preparing the transaction
> > > and before handling commit_prepared.
> > >
> > > Regarding the case where the user specifies XID of the transaction
> > > after it is prepared on the subscriber (i.g., the transaction is not
> > > empty), we won’t skip committing the prepared transaction. But I think
> > > that we don't need to support skipping already-prepared transaction
> > > since such transaction doesn't conflict with anything regardless of
> > > having changed or not.
> > >

> > Yeah, this makes sense to me.
> >

> I've attached an updated patch. The new syntax is like "ALTER
> SUBSCRIPTION testsub SKIP (xid = '123')".
>
> I’ve been thinking we can do something safeguard for the case where
> the user specified the wrong xid. For example, can we somewhat use the
> stats in pg_stat_subscription_workers? An idea is that logical
> replication worker fetches the xid from the stats when reading the
> subscription and skips the transaction if the xid matches to
> subskipxid. That is, the worker checks the error reported by the
> worker previously working on the same subscription. The error could
> not be a conflict error (e.g., connection error etc.) or might have
> been cleared by the reset function, But given the worker is in an
> error loop, the worker can eventually get xid in question. We can
> prevent an unrelated transaction from being skipped unexpectedly. It
> seems not a stable solution though. Or it might be enough to warn
> users when they specified an XID that doesn’t match to last_error_xid.
> Anyway, I think it’s better to have more discussion on this. Any
> ideas?

Few comments:
1) Should we check if conflicting option is specified like others above:
+               else if (strcmp(defel->defname, "xid") == 0)
+               {
+                       char *xid_str = defGetString(defel);
+                       TransactionId xid;
+
+                       if (strcmp(xid_str, "-1") == 0)
+                       {
+                               /* Setting -1 to xid means to reset it */
+                               xid = InvalidTransactionId;
+                       }
+                       else
+                       {

2) Currently only superusers can set skip xid, we can add this in the
documentation:
+ if (!superuser())
+ ereport(ERROR,
+ (errcode(ERRCODE_INSUFFICIENT_PRIVILEGE),
+ errmsg("must be superuser to set %s", "skip_xid")));

3) There is an extra tab before "The resolution can be done ...", it
can be removed.
+      Skip applying changes of the particular transaction.  If incoming data
+      violates any constraints the logical replication will stop until it is
+      resolved. The resolution can be done either by changing data on the
+      subscriber so that it doesn't conflict with incoming change or
by skipping
+      the whole transaction.  The logical replication worker skips all data

4) xid with -2 is currently allowed, may be it is ok. If it is fine we
can remove it from the fail section.
+-- fail
+ALTER SUBSCRIPTION regress_testsub SKIP (xid = 1.1);
+ERROR:  invalid transaction id: 1.1
+ALTER SUBSCRIPTION regress_testsub SKIP (xid = -2);
+ALTER SUBSCRIPTION regress_testsub SKIP (xid = 0);
+ERROR:  invalid transaction id: 0
+ALTER SUBSCRIPTION regress_testsub SKIP (xid = 1);

Regards,
Vignesh