Re: Race condition in FetchTableStates() breaks synchronization of subscription tables

От vignesh C
Тема Re: Race condition in FetchTableStates() breaks synchronization of subscription tables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 24 Apr 2024 at 15:49, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 23, 2024 at 4:53 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 13, 2024 at 11:59 AM vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Waking up of the launch process uses the same latch that is used for
> > > subscription creation/modification and apply worker process exit. As
> > > the handling of this latch for subscription creation/modification and
> > > worker process exit can be done only by ApplyLauncherMain, we will not
> > > be able to reset the latch in WaitForReplicationWorkerAttach. I feel
> > > waking up the launcher process might not help in this case as
> > > currently we will not be able to differentiate between worker
> > > attached, subscription creation/modification and apply worker process
> > > exit.
> > >

> > IIUC, even if we set the latch once the worker attaches, the other
> > set_latch by subscription creation/modification or apply_worker_exit
> > could also be consumed due to reset of latch in
> > WaitForReplicationWorkerAttach(). Is that understanding correct? If
> > so, can we use some other way to wake up
> > WaitForReplicationWorkerAttach() say condition variable?
> >

> The other possibility is to have a GUC launcher_retry_time or
> something like that instead of using a DEFAULT_NAPTIME_PER_CYCLE. This
> still may not resolve the issue if launcher_retry_time is longer but
> at least users would be able to configure it. I am not sure if this is
> a good idea or not but just trying to brainstorm different ideas to
> solve this problem.
>
> BTW, as far as I understand, this is an improvement in the existing
> code, so should be done only for HEAD (probably PG18) and should be
> discussed in a separate thread.

I have started a new thread at [1] to discuss this:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CALDaNm01_KEgHM1tKtgXkCGLJ5209SMSmGw3UmhZbOz365_%3DeA%40mail.gmail.com

Regards,
Vignesh

От: Melanie Plageman
Сообщение: Re: broken reading on standby (PostgreSQL 16.2)
Сообщение: Re: broken reading on standby (PostgreSQL 16.2)