Re: BRIN indexes vs. SK_SEARCHARRAY (and preprocessing scan keys)

От vignesh C
Тема Re: BRIN indexes vs. SK_SEARCHARRAY (and preprocessing scan keys)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 14 Jul 2023 at 20:17, Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> >> Cool. In 0005-Support-SK_SEARCHARRAY-in-BRIN-bloom-20230702.patch, you
> >> used the preprocess function to pre-calculate the scankey's hash, even
> >> for scalars. You could use the scratch space in BrinDesc for that,
> >> before doing anything with SEARCHARRAYs.
> >>

> > Yeah, that's a good idea.
> >

> I started looking at this (the scratch space in BrinDesc), and it's not
> as straightforward. The trouble is BrinDesc is "per attribute" but the
> scratch space is "per scankey" (because we'd like to sort values from
> the scankey array).
>
> With the "new" consistent functions (that get all scan keys at once)
> this probably is not an issue, because we know which scan key we're
> processing and so we can map it to the scratch space. But with the old
> consistent function that's not the case. Maybe we should support this
> only with the "new" consistent function variant?
>
> This would however conflict with the idea to have a separate consistent
> function for arrays, which "splits" the scankeys into multiple groups
> again. There could be multiple SAOP scan keys, and then what?
>
> I wonder if the scratch space should be in the ScanKey instead?

Are we planning to post an updated patch for this? If the interest has
gone down and if there are no plans to handle this I'm thinking of
returning this commitfest entry in this commitfest and can be opened
when there is more interest.

Regards,
Vignesh