Re: Added schema level support for publication.

От vignesh C
Тема Re: Added schema level support for publication.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 4:49 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 5:12 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 11:58 AM vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >

> > Below are few comments on v23. If you have already addressed anything
> > in v24, then ignore it.
> >

> More Review comments (on latest version v24):
> =======================================
> 1.
> +    Oid            psnspcid BKI_LOOKUP(pg_class);    /* Oid of the schema */
> +} FormData_pg_publication_schema;
>
> Why in the above structure you have used pg_class instead of pg_namespace?

It should be pg_namespace, I have changed it.

> 2. GetSchemaPublicationRelations() uses two different ways to skip
> non-publishable relations in two while loops. Both are correct but I
> think it would be easier to follow if they use the same way and in
> this case I would prefer a check like if (is_publishable_class(relid,
> relForm)). The comments atop function could also be modified to :"Get
> the list of publishable relation oids for a specified schema.". I
> think it is better to write some comments on why you need to scan and
> loop twice.

Modified

> 3. The other point about GetSchemaPublicationRelations() is that I am
> afraid that it will collect duplicate relation oids in the final list
> when the partitioned table and child tables are in the same schema.

Modified it to prepare a list without duplicate relation ids.

> 4. In GetRelationPublicationActions(), the handling related to
> partitions seems to be missing for the schema. It won't be able to
> take care of child tables when they are in a different schema than the
> parent table.

Modified

> 5.
> If I modify the search path to remove public schema then I get the
> below error message:
> postgres=# Create publication mypub for all tables in schema current_schema;
> ERROR:  no schema has been selected
>
> I think this message is not very clear. How about changing to
> something like "current_schema doesn't contain any valid schema"? This
> message is used in more than one place, so let's keep it the same at
> all the places if you agree to change it.

I would prefer to use the existing messages as we have used this in a
few other places similarly. Thoughts?

> 6. How about naming ConvertPubObjSpecListToOidList() as
> ObjectsInPublicationToOids()? I see somewhat similarly named functions
> in the code like objectsInSchemaToOids, objectNamesToOids.

Modified

> 7.
> + /*
> + * Schema lock is held until the publication is created to prevent
> + * concurrent schema deletion. No need to unlock the schemas, the
> + * locks will be released automatically at the end of create
> + * publication command.
> + */
>
> In this comment no need to say create publication command as that is
> implicit, we can just write ".... at the end of command".

Modified

> 8. Can you please extract changes like tab-completion, dump/restore in
> separate patches? This can help to review the core (backend) part of
> the patch in more detail.

Modified

This is handled as part of v25 patch attached at [1]
[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CALDaNm2SytXy2TDnzzYkXWKgNp74ssPBXrkMXEyac1qVYSRkbw%40mail.gmail.com

Regards,
Vignesh