Re: [GSoC Idea Discussion] "Thrift datatype support" Project

От Bear Giles
Тема Re: [GSoC Idea Discussion] "Thrift datatype support" Project
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 10:24 AM, Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov.vladimir@gmail.com> wrote:
Technically speaking, Thrift is "language-independent" serialization-deserialization format with clean approach to backward compatibility.

I think Thrift (or something like that) can be useful, as it can generate serializers/deserializers for lots of languages.
PostgreSQL's "binary" format is tied to the PostgreSQL and it has to be reimplemented for each and every client language.

"text" format is non-trivial as well (e.g. it is hard to get quoting right for structs, and text is server-locale-dependent)

Vladimir

​​Thanks. I've been helping a coworker with an older parquet writer and ​the URL for the hive metastore uses a thrift:// scheme. That is why I thought it is a communications protocol.​