Re: COPY FROM WHEN condition

От Surafel Temesgen
Тема Re: COPY FROM WHEN condition
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 12:02 PM Dean Rasheed <dean.a.rasheed@gmail.com> wrote:
Right now we have 2 syntaxes for filtering rows in queries, both of
which use WHERE immediately before the condition:

1). SELECT ... FROM ... WHERE condition

2). SELECT agg_fn FILTER (WHERE condition) FROM ...

I'm not a huge fan of (2), but that's the SQL standard, so we're stuck
with it. There's a certain consistency in it's use of WHERE to
introduce the condition, and preceding that with FILTER helps to
distinguish it from any later WHERE clause. But what you'd be adding
here would be a 3rd syntax

3). COPY ... FROM ... FILTER condition

which IMO will just lead to confusion.

your case is for retrieving data but this is for deciding which data to insert and word FILTER I think describe it more and not lead to confusion.

regards
Surafel