Re: behavior of GROUP BY with VOLATILE expressions

От Paul George
Тема Re: behavior of GROUP BY with VOLATILE expressions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Great, thanks for the links and useful past discussions! I figured I wasn't the first to stumble across this, and it's interesting to see the issue arise with ORDER BY [VOLATILE FUNC] as well.

My question was not so much about changing behavior as it was about understanding what is desired, especially in light of the fact that subqueries behave differently. From my reading of the links you provided, it seems that even the notion of "desired" here is itself dubious and that there is a case for reevaluating RANDOM() everywhere and a case for not doing that. Given this murkiness, is it fair then to say that drawing parallels between how GROUP BY subquery is handled is moot?

-Paul-