Re: Any reasons for 'DO' statement not returning result?

От Xtra Coder
Тема Re: Any reasons for 'DO' statement not returning result?
Дата
Re: Any reasons for 'DO' statement not returning result?  (Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@BlueTreble.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Thanks, I'm aware about ability to create temp functions, but this is actually too much overhead - I mean unneeded boilerplate code, but it seems in current state it is "the least evil" which I have to use.

I think 'what i need' is support for following
- ability to switch session language from 'sql' to 'pl/pgsql'
- in that mode - ability to declare session-scope variables, 'DO' is just not needed after that
- SELECTs not targeted into a variable - are written to client output
- (C) Merlin Moncure - "Ability to embed collection of statements in the database under a name and invoke those statements via CALL <name>, which does not automatically create a transaction and a snapshot (unlike functions/DO)"

All this seems to be a huge change which will definitely not appear any time soon.