doc: BRIN indexes and autosummarize

От Roberto Mello
Тема doc: BRIN indexes and autosummarize
Дата
Re: doc: BRIN indexes and autosummarize  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Here's a patch to clarify the BRIN indexes documentation, particularly with regards
to autosummarize, vacuum and autovacuum. It basically breaks down a big blob of a
paragraph into multiple paragraphs for clarity, plus explicitly tells how summarization
happens manually or automatically.

I also added cross-references to various relevant sections, including the create index
page.

On this topic... I'm not familiar with with the internals of BRIN indexes and in
backend/access/common/reloptions.c I see:

        {
            "autosummarize",
            "Enables automatic summarization on this BRIN index",
            RELOPT_KIND_BRIN,
            AccessExclusiveLock
        },

Is the exclusive lock on the index why autosummarize is off by default?

What would be the downside (if any) of having autosummarize=on by default?

Roberto

--
Crunchy Data - passion for open source PostgreSQL
Вложения