Re: Optimizing bulk update performance

От Yang Zhang
Тема Re: Optimizing bulk update performance
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 3:06 AM, Misa Simic <misa.simic@gmail.com> wrote:
> I dont know - u can test :)

I probably will, but I do have a huge stack of such experiments to run
by now, and it's always tricky / takes care to get benchmarks right,
avoid disk caches, etc.  Certainly I think it would be helpful (or at
least hopefully not harmful) to ask here to see if anyone might just
know.  That's what brought me to this list.  :)

> In whole solution it is just one command different - so easy to test and
> compare...
>
> To me it doesnt sound as faster... Sounds as more operation needed what
> should be done...
>
> And produce more problems...i.e what with table foo? What if another table
> refference foo etc...

Yep, I guess more specifically I was just thinking of dumping to a temp table:

CREATE TEMP TABLE tmp AS
SELECT * FROM foo;

TRUNCATE foo;

INSERT INTO foo
SELECT * FROM bar
UNION
SELECT * FROM tmp WHERE id NOT IN (SELECT id FROM bar);

The question I have remaining is whether the bulk UPDATE will be able
to update many rows efficiently (smartly order them to do largely
sequential scans) - if so, I imagine it would be faster than the
above.