Re: select distinct uses index scan vs full table scan

От Jon Nelson
Тема Re: select distinct uses index scan vs full table scan
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 1:57 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Jon Nelson <jnelson+pgsql@jamponi.net> writes:
>> I've got a 5GB table with about 12 million rows.
>> Recently, I had to select the distinct values from just one column.
>> The planner chose an index scan. The query took almost an hour.
>> When I forced index scan off, the query took 90 seconds (full table scan).
>
> Usually, we hear complaints about the opposite.  Are you using
> nondefault cost settings?

Cost settings had not been changed until a few minutes ago when your
response prompted me to try a few things.

I ended up changing the random_page_cost to 16.0 (from 4.0), partly
because the H/W raid I'm using is awful bad at random I/O. I'll
experiment and keep tabs on performance to see if this has a negative
effect on other aspects.

>> The planner estimated 70,000 unique values when, in fact, there are 12
>> million (the value for this row is *almost* but not quite unique).
>> What's more, despite bumping the statistics on that column up to 1000
>> and re-analyzing, the planner now thinks that there are 300,000 unique
>> values.
>
> Accurate ndistinct estimates are hard, but that wouldn't have much of
> anything to do with this particular choice, AFAICS.
>
>> How can I tell the planner that a given column is much more unique
>> than, apparently, it thinks it is?
>
> 9.0 and up have ALTER TABLE ... ALTER COLUMN ... SET n_distinct.

D'oh!  I'm on 8.4.10+patches.
This may provide the necessary push.

--
Jon