Re: Are we the first OSS database with parallel query?

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: Are we the first OSS database with parallel query?
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 9:45 PM, julyanto SUTANDANG <julyanto@equnix.co.id> wrote:
I thought that the real term of Parallel Query should talk about Query in a Host, Not multi host.
When multihost (clusters) is the context, of course it is parallel execution of query in every single host with single query each. So, applying term Parallel Query as the first RDBMS implement it, i think it is correct.

Right.  With HadoopDB what you basically have is a strange form of SQL* run as a map reduce job.

* Hadoop assumes schema on read instead of schema on write, which means if your data doesn't match your expectations, you may get garbage back or may get nulls back.  This is actually a feature in big data because usually you are looking for heuristic analysis of data based on statistical guesswork rather than provably correct answers.  But I would *not* consider them a competitor.

Julyanto SUTANDANG

Equnix Business Solutions, PT
(An Open Source and Open Mind Company)
www.equnix.co.id
Pusat Niaga ITC Roxy Mas Blok C2/42.  Jl. KH Hasyim Ashari 125, Jakarta Pusat
T: +6221 22866662 F: +62216315281 M: +628164858028

Caution: The information enclosed in this email (and any attachments) may be legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.Unless it is made by the authorized person, any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of PT Equnix Business Solutions.

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 2:20 AM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 12:06:43PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 08/29/2016 11:46 AM, David Fetter wrote:

> >> Do they have parallel query on a single node?  I suppose you can have
> >> multiple shards-per-node, but that's still a different feature.
> >
> > I don't know of one offhand, but that distinction seems like a *VERY*
> > thin slice to be claiming.
>
> Yeah, it's certainly not terribly marketable. "First non-sharded
> parallel query".

PostgreSQL: we don't charge you a network hop to use another core ;)

Best,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778  AIM: dfetter666  Yahoo!: dfetter
Skype: davidfetter      XMPP: david(dot)fetter(at)gmail(dot)com

Remember to vote!