Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
These are minor nitpicks but they address significant questions about the scope of core.

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 1:19 AM, cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org> wrote:
I am beginning to feel like people are putting words in my mouth :)

I agree with most of what you said. I will only comment on the differences:

There is nothing special in java, that's just another language like perl, python and tcl. I don't see any reason to treat that differently.

I don't disagree per-se. I think bundling the JRE would help users, but it's a tiny problem compared to needing to build pl/java from source. If we can fix the latter, the former is a smaller issue. Sidenote: when I talk about "bundling" the JRE I simply mean adding an option in the installer to download and unpack it on behalf of the user.

Does core even maintain installers?  If so, which ones?

I don't disagree with the goal of making the software easy to install, but asking the core team to maintain it so it will end up in Stack Builder is the wrong approach.

If there is a programmer who cannot install jvm/jdk on its own (which is a couple of clicks on windows and linux) then I'm sure that writing stored procerures in java will be even too difficult.

Installing a public JVM is easy. Binding it to pl/java is not. By bundling a private JRE we control the default installation path and can therefore pre-configure pl/java to look for it in that location.