Re: Authenticating from a web service call

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: Authenticating from a web service call
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Bryan Montgomery <monty@english.net> wrote:
> Hello,
> We are looking at implementing a web service that basically makes calls to
> the database.
>
> I have been thinking about ways to secure the web service based on the
> database.
>
> I initially thought about just connecting to the database as the user with
> parameters passed through the web service - however I don't know how to do
> that other than clear text passwords.

It's a problem we have been looking at for some time in LedgerSMB,
actually.  So I have some thoughts on the topic.  PostgreSQL is
remarkably flexible here and so you have a bunch of options depending
on your needs.

The basic thing is you have to have re-usable credentials so things
like client cert auth, or httpd-digest won't work.  So the clients
have to pass the password to the web server in a way it can use them
to log in.

> So, is it possible for clients to encrypt their password and pass that
> through the web service to the database?

SSL protecting both the link from the client to the web service and
the web service to the db is what we recommend with LedgerSMB.  It's
the most versatile approach since it doesn't require any other
infrastructure.

Another approach would be to use Kerberos 5 auth on both sides and
pass the forwardable ticket through.  More secure but the client has
to be part of a KRB5 realm and configuration is a bit more complex.

> I was looking at the way postgres
> stores the users passwords but first of all I'm not sure if that is
> something the client could do. Then, if they could, how to go about
> connecting as a system user and verifying that the userid and password
> provided by the client are correct.

Ick...  I don't like that.  It requires too much knowledge and replay
vulnerabilities across the whole process.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers