Re: running \copy through perl dbi ?

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: running \copy through perl dbi ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
\copy in psql just wraps PostgreSQL's COPY FROM STDIN.

if you are trying to do it from your own client program it is trivial to change to that call instead.

On Mon, Dec 11, 2023 at 4:09 PM Vincent Veyron <vincent.veyron@libremen.org> wrote:
On Fri, 8 Dec 2023 10:45:28 -0500
David Gauthier <dfgpostgres@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to run a PG client side "\copy" command from a perl script.  I
> tried using $dbh->do("\\copy ...") but it barffed when it saw the '\'...
> ERROR:  syntax error at or near "\"
>
> I can do this with a command line approach, attaching to the DB  then run
> using...

Duh! I just realized that what I proposed with system() is a command line approach.

As David Johnston mentionned, you can use the SQL COPY command.

However, you need then to deal with permissions so that the server may write the file, so I wonder what approach is cleaner?

I wouldn't do COPY FROM FILE in that case.  I would do COPY FROM STDIN and hten write the data.

Here's the general docs in the DBD::Pg module: https://metacpan.org/pod/DBD::Pg#COPY-support

The general approach is to COPY FROM STDIN and then use pg_putcopydata for each row, and finally pg_putcopyend to close out this.  It's not too different from what psql does in the background.

--

                                        Bien à vous, Vincent Veyron

https://marica.fr
Logiciel de gestion des contentieux juridiques, des contrats et des sinistres d'assurance

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito:  Hosted Accounting and ERP.  Robust and Flexible.  No vendor lock-in.