Re: Largest PG database known to man!

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: Largest PG database known to man!
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Mark Jones <mark.jones@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Thanks for your quick response John.

From the limited information, it is mostly relational.
As for usage patterns, I do not have that yet.
I was just after a general feel of what is out there size wise.

Usage patterns are going to be critical here.  There is a huge difference between a large amount of data being used in an OLTP workflow than a DSS/OLAP workflow.  Additionally, I am concerned your indexes are going to be very large.  Now, depending on your usage pattern, breaking things down carefully regarding tablespace and partial indexes may be enough.  However, keep in mind that no table can be larger than 32TB.  At any rate, no matter what solution you use, I don't see a generally tuned database being what you want (which means you are tuning for workflow).

Now, I think your big limits in OLTP are going to be max table size (32TB) and index size.  These can all be managed (and managed carefully) but they are limits.

For OLAP you have a totally different set of concerns, and since you are talking about aggregating a lot of data, vanilla PostgreSQL is going to be a pain to get working as it is.  On the other hand OLAP and large db mixed workloads is where Postgres-XC might really shine.  The complexity costs there will likely be worth it in removing limitations on disk I/O and lack of intraquery parallelism.

200TB is a lot of data.  400TB is twice that.  Either way you are going to have a really complex set of problems to tackle regardless of what solution you choose.

I have heard of db sizes in the 30-100TB range on PostgreSQL even before Postgres-XC.  I am not sure beyond that.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Regards

   Mark Jones