Proposing a PostgreSQL Independent Professionals Network

От Chris Travers
Тема Proposing a PostgreSQL Independent Professionals Network
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi everyone,

At Pgconf.dev I had a number of conversations around improving support and diversity in the community, as well as discussions of interest groups within the community.  Out of this has come an idea I would like to float for improving both support for independent professionals in the community and also improve diversity by reducing structural barriers to building careers within the community

At think point this is just an idea for some community infrastructure.  I can help but I don't have the time to drive it by myself.  My vision for the PIPN would be:

1.  A platform for independent PostgreSQL professionals could advertise themselves and their services for consulting, contracting, subcontracting, etc.  In line with many conversations at the unconference and hallway track, this would not be limited to coding or DBA work but include other areas of expertise as well.  The goal is to reduce the financial cost and risk of going independent by providing ways of sharing opportunities, as well as ensuring that larger consulting shops including PGX and Stormatics could use this to scout subcontractors when needed.

2.  A platform for mutual support for independent professionals.  This is important for reducing the barrier to entry and thus increasing diversity of people who choose to build careers around our software and our community..

This platform would be entirely not for profit.

In coming up with this idea I want to think in particular Stacy Haysler for her insights, thoughts, and support.  I would also like to thank Corey Huinker for conversations on the diversity front and everyone who participated in the community engagement unconference session.

If you would like to get involved and you are looking for a place to start, we need at least the following (though other contributions are appreciated):

1.  Governance committee, making decisions about how things work, policies, etc.

2.  Development of the web platform.

3.  Advocacy and outreach

4.  Hosting donations and the like

All work on this project would be credited.    At present time commitment irequirements are not set.  Any amount of help is welcome no matter how small.

Is anyone interested in helping out?

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers