Re: 2FA - - - was Re: Password complexity/history - credcheck?

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: 2FA - - - was Re: Password complexity/history - credcheck?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Mon, Jun 24, 2024 at 8:00 PM o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Jun 23, 2024 at 10:10 AM Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Jun 23, 2024 at 5:30 AM Martin Goodson <kaemaril@googlemail.com> wrote:
I believe that our security team is getting most of this from our
auditors, who seem convinced that minimal complexity, password history
etc are the way to go despite the fact that, as you say, server-side
password checks can't really be implemented when the database receives a
hash rather than a clear text password and password minimal complexity
etc is not perhaps considered the gold standard it once was.

In fact, I think they see a hashed password as a disadvantage.

Wow, full stop right there. This is a hill to die on.

Push back and get some competent auditors. This should not be a DBAs problem. Your best bet is to use Kerberos, and throw the password requirements out of the database realm entirely.

Also, the discussion should be about 2FA, not password history/complexity.

Hmmmmmmm - - - - 2FA - - - - what I've seen of it so far is that authentication is most often done
using totally insecure tools (emailing some numbers or using SMS). Now if you were espousing
the use of security dongles and such I would agree - - - - otherwise you are promoting the veneering
of insecurity on insecurity with the hope that this helps.

IMO having excellent passwords far trumps even 2FA - - - - 2FA is useful when simple or quite
easily broken passwords are required.  Now when you add the lack of SMS possibilities (due to lack of signal) 2FA is an usually potent PITA because of course SMS 'always' works (except it doesn't(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)).

(Can you tell that I've been bitten in the posterior repeatedly with this garbage?)

For 2FA, a simple solution is to require a password plus clientcert=sameuser.  This allows you to authorize devices/user accounts for specific remote database connections and provides that second factor -- i.e. something you have as well as something you know.

Regards

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito:  Hosted Accounting and ERP.  Robust and Flexible.  No vendor lock-in.