Re: Impact on PostgreSQL due to Redhat acquisition by IBM

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: Impact on PostgreSQL due to Redhat acquisition by IBM
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 8:06 AM Sachin Kotwal <kotsachin@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi PostgreSQL lovers,

I heard news that Redhat is going to acquired by IBM. IBM has its on database. And they have history of selling applications with their own hardware (software and hardware together).

As per my knowledge PostgreSQL community has better support for Redhat family than any other platforms.

I don't know that is the case.  PostgreSQL support is different on Debian, RedHat, Gentoo, etc.  The Debian folks, for example have a lot of tooling around running many different instances of different versions on the same host (as does Gentoo by the way).  In that respect, RedHat seems behind ;-)  On the other hand, that lack of functionality means running it on RedHat is a bit simpler if more limited.

I say this as someone who has a lot of experience running PostgreSQL on all of the above.  The platforms are different in how they approach PostgreSQL and what they want you to be able to do with it.

Does community is going to support/focus more Debian platforms ?

As the community is growing I suspect that all platforms will get more focus.  But usually the question is what the distro does to support PostgreSQL for their own use cases.

Does community has any plan to switch their main supported platform?

That question makes no sense.  We don't have a main supported platform.

Please share if any other plan.

--

Thanks and Regards,
Sachin Kotwal

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito:  Hosted Accounting and ERP.  Robust and Flexible.  No vendor lock-in.