Re: Would like to contribute a section to docs for 9.3. Where to start?

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: Would like to contribute a section to docs for 9.3. Where to start?
Дата
Список pgsql-docs

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
On 8/15/12 5:33 AM, Chris Travers wrote:
So here is a very rough draft.  I would be interested in feedback as to
inaccuracies or omissions.  I would like to get the technical side right
before going into an editorial phase.

Any feedback on the technical side?

[citation needed]

Seriously, if we are trying to justify our use of seemingly standard academic terms, we should have some references to where those are defined or at least discussed.  Otherwise we are just begging the question: PostgreSQL is object-relational because we say so.

Good point.

I found two interesting resources quickly which seem on point:

and

But this doesn't really get us beyond the "because we say so" given the connection between Informix and PostgreSQL.

It really looks to me like Postges was given the name Object-Relational by Stonebreaker as a way of saying "here's what I am trying to play around with" and the databases which describe themselves in these terms seem either inspired by or forks of Postgres ;-).

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers